More Prussians Are Coming

Napoleonic Prussians were my very first foray into miniatures away from Games Workshop. It was a bit of a painting culture shock. From individual highly-detailed 32mm heroic models to slender 4-to-a-base 28mm rank and file troops. It took me ages to finished the first three battalions and then two more Landwehr battalions and a smattering of skirmishers, artillery, etc. Then came the time of madness where I was suddenly inundated with A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures, Cthulhu, Romans and Britons as well as napoelonic ships.

Challenge 2022 Complete

Mon Dieu! Hard to port! Yes it’s only mid-April and yes, the last five ships took me almost half a month to complete. Nevertheless, I’ve managed to paint 142 miniatures over the course of three and a half months! Personal best. I should have left something easy for last, those ships were definitely a test for my patience, but now they are done and I can look forward to trying them out on the black seas game mat!

March Painting Update

England expects every man to do his duty March has been another good month in terms of progress. I’m now almost all the way through my year’s goal. I’ve painted up Anna and Elsa and even already played the first game with my daughter using them. The Britons are also completed now, that’s the whole Hail Caesar boxset done! As well as all the remaining warriors, I also did the few extra pieces for the two chiefs.

Hail Caesar

Ave Caesar! Morituri Te Salutant That’s the last of the Britons painted and with that the last miniature from the Hail Caesar: Roman Invasion of Britain starter set. All in all around 125 miniatures, rivalling the number I’ve painted in total for my Napoleonic Prussian army. I thought it would take me much longer1, but in the end, I got into a nice rhythm, knowing exactly which colour to pick next, the order in which to paint the minis, when to include the shields, bases, etc.

Let It Go!

Let it Go! Let it Go! As Monty Python said: “And now for something completely different.” While I was browsing the internet forums and blogs, I came across a post by someone trying to get his young daughter into wargaming. To do that he painted up some of her favourite characters to use in a modified skirmish game. I liked the idea and wanted to see if I could replicate his results.

February Painting Update

More screaming barbarians! Lots more progress in February and if anything I’ve managed to increase my pace! At this point all the miniatures from the A Song of Ice and Fire Kickstarter have been painted1. Far more impressive though is the fact that that I have already managed to paint a whooping 50 Britons so far. With the ten I managed to complete at the tail end of January, I’m now 75% through the Britons.

ASOIAF Starter Set Complete!

Today I finished the last mini from the A Song of Ice and Fire boxset that I got from a Kickstarter pledge a few years ago. Brienne of Tarth valiantly led the rear-guard on the painting front and joins her fellow neutral characters to complete the Starter Set. Alongside my pledge for the Starter Set, the pledge rewards and milestone unlocks I also bought a couple of extra boxes to round out the collection.

Even Easier Progress Updates

I knew I couldn’t stay away from the automation bug for much longer. So I spent a good day or so familiarising myself with Hugo’s Templating and how Data Templates work. With a bit of trial error and a lot of squinting at syntax errors, I’ve managed to come up with a fairly good system. Firstly, I extended the syntax in the params section of the config.yaml. You can now eschew the max and now keys and instead provide a file:

Making Progress Updates Easier

Earlier this year, I started to track progress for my painting challenge. It’s been going well and I’ve a lot of fun tracking the numbers and seeing them go up. One thing I was keen on though, was to improve the update process. Updating the markdown page for the challenge and calculating the percentage progress by hand, is hardly difficult or time-consuming, but anyone who’s read my blog will know that I like automating things.

Half of the Britons Painted

Ten more join the fray Back in 2019 at Christmas, I got the Hail Caesar starter set, called “Roman Invasion of Britain” from my wife. It sat around for a while as I tried to get through the mountain of ASOIAF miniatures that I stil had to paint, but after I finished the [Cthulhu][cthulhu] boardgame, it was time to turn my attention to the Romans. After reading the contents list more carefully and taking a look at the sprues, I realized that there were 40 Romans in the box and 80 Britons!