I’ve had an LDAP setup for a quite a while1, but I’ve never really used it. Sure, I could set up my Dokuwiki to get the logins and groups from LDAP and that’s kind of what it’s for, but that wasn’t enough. I wanted to use LDAP as a central configuration/setup/inventory management system. Configure my mail server to lookup email addresses there, assign port numbers and hosts for my services from there, etc.
Finally done! I have to admit, these took me far longer than I would have liked. They sat on my painting table all through and since I painted the Cherusci Warrior through October and November. It was a bit of a slog to get back into painting and to actually finish them, but now that they’re done, I’m actually very happy with them. The snow bases I’ve wanted to do for a while now.
Over the Christmas holidays, we spent a couple of weeks abroad with family. During this time, I still like to have access to my network, both for the self-hosted services I have but also so I can play around with new ideas during the downtime. Unfortunately, about halfway through our holiday, I lost access. I couldn’t tell whether this was because my DNS Updater script failed to set the correct dynamic WAN IP on my DNS record, or whether the router had locked up, or my servers were down.
The most annoying thing about having a website or blog for me has always been in writing content for it. Getting stuff published is a close second though. So when I wanted to revive this blog and actually have a proper web presence for once, I resolved that it should be as easy as possible to do it. So first thing I did was to put this blog up as a Github repo so that I could access it from anywhere.
Father Christmas has been very kind to me this year! Cthulhu: Death May Die When we went to visit my parents at the beginning of Christmas, they got me the new Cthulhu: Death May Die board game by CMON. It’s jam-packed with miniatures and they are gorgeous. Very detailed, particularly the Great Old Ones and the investigators. It also has a bunch of henchmen, which I’m sure will go through a batch-painting process.
I set up influxdb a while back on my NUC, so that I could have a TIG (Telegraf/Influxdb/Grafana) stack running and capture nice metrics on my home network. What I didn’t find out until later is that you shouldn’t put Influxdb on a network drive, it generated a network storm, maxing out my NUC’s CPU waiting on I/O operations to complete. I tore down the TIG stack and hadn’t used it since.
I’ve not posted any pictures or updates about this one before, because it is going to be a Christmas present and I don’t want the intended recipient to find out too soon! This is a Chrusci warrior, one of several tribes that gave the Romans a bloody nose at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. I made him Cherusci specifically because of the famous (German) song about the battle, whose third verse starts:
I’ve been running some of my services so that they are accessible from the outside world. Some of this has been for fun (like my calibre setup) and some because I want to keep control of my own data. I’ve self-hosted a quite a few services on my NUC now, including things like Plex and tinytinyrss. Many of them have been exposed to the internet as subdomain, so that I could use them both from within my own network and when I’m out and about.
Love the poses They’re done. And in record time as far as I’m concerned. They were an absolute pleasure to paint as well. There’s lots of variety in the poses but they still fell into three main styles, which made it a lot easier to paint. A new highlight for my painting were the thin red pipings all along the cuffs, collars and epaulettes. That required a steady hand after a nice glass of whiskey.
Here come the Mountain's Men That’s the Mountain’s Men done as well. I’ve also painted the Mountain himself, but for some bizarre reason, I made his cloak green, instead of yellow. So I will need to repaint him at some point. For now, I’m putting the brush down on this project and turning to my historicals for a bit. I’ll be back on this one with the first Stark unit.