Here come the Mountain's Men That’s the Mountain’s Men done as well. I’ve also painted the Mountain himself, but for some bizarre reason, I made his cloak green, instead of yellow. So I will need to repaint him at some point. For now, I’m putting the brush down on this project and turning to my historicals for a bit. I’ll be back on this one with the first Stark unit.
Painted and based These knights were a lot more work than I had initially anticipated. I could swear I emptied a whole pot of red paint on them! My worry was initially that they would be too red, but looking at them, the armour breaks up the single colour quite nicely. Plus the gold highlights add a splash of contrasting colour. Now I just need the Mountain, his Men and Jamie Lannister and the Red Force is done!
Warlord Provides! After getting a Community Spotlight on Beasts of War earlier this month, I thought it was high time to press pause on painting the ASOIAF backlog and to continue my efforts on this project. To that extent, I went ahead and ordered two boxes of Warlord’s Landwehr Regiment. I’m not sure why they are marked as regiments, but for my purposes each box represents a battalion.
The Prussians are coming It’s time to branch out from collecting and painting just Games Workship models. Goodbye Stormcast Eternals, hello Napoleonics. I started by painting a regiment of Prussian Line Infantry that I got from Perry Miniatures as the 1st Silesian Regiment (on a whim, because the facings looked nice). This was really just to dabble a bit in historical miniature wargaming. Now though, I want to add to the list and the 1st Silesian was part of the 11th Brigade in the II Corps at the 1813 Battle of Leipzig.
Painted and based This brings the total to two Lannister Guardsmen units, as well as Tyrion and Cersei of which I’ve not taken any pictures. Next up: A unit of Knights of Casterly Rock (Or The Mountain, but probably the Knights…)
What have I done?! So a while back I backed the Kickstarter for the boardgame A Song of Ice and Fire by CMON Games, which is not based on the TV series Game of Thrones, but the original books. I thought the models looked great1, so I splurged and backed whatever the highest tier was that would get me all the special Kickstarter-only minis. And now they just arrived.
I came across a blog post online about how to make an nginx-based reverse proxy more secure and I went about implementing it immediately. It took me all of 30 minutes to follow the steps and get an A grade from SSL Labs! It’s still going to take more to convince me that this will deter all but the most determined hackers, but it allows me to access my services when I’m not at home.
I’ve had my own internal DNS for a while now and it’s been working great. I’ve even pointed my router’s DHCP config to hand out the Raspberry Pi’s IP address as the network’s authoritative DNS Server. At the same time I’ve used AdBlock Plus for a while now in my browser, but I was always unhappy that I couldn’t have the same thing on my Pixel as well. Particularly as ads and popups are even more annoying on a small screen when you just want to look something up.
The NUC that I bought a while back has mainly just been used to run a Plex server. Lately I’ve been playing with setting different things up on my Raspberry Pis, including my own internal DNS. Then I was talking to a colleague of mine about my Munin setup and I really wanted to show him what I’m doing. So, perhaps a little radically, I devided to open up access to the outside world
I’ve been meaning to do this for ages now and today I found the time to do it right. I installed dnsmasq on a spare Raspberry Pi to do three things: Provide nice name resolution on my servers (i.e. *foo*.peterkuehne.com) Log all DNS queries (for stats, etc, not for actual monitoring) Cache DNS lookups and make browsing a few milliseconds faster As far as I can see right now, this all works great.